Wednesday 28 October 2009

Spooky goings on down South

It's almost that time of year when I get to actually blend in with everyone else. The only difference is that they are in fancy dress and I'm not!

Apparently everyone is going to dress up for Hallow e'en this Friday at work so should be a good excuse for a giggle. Should I go casual witch or the full vampire hmmmm...

Even better it's bonfire night next week so I also get to dress up and burn stuff and it's all legal woohoo!

I dress as a viking and walk in a local towns bonfire parade. We carry torches and blow up a Guy Fawkes at the end of the night before watching several thousand pounds worth of fireworks go up to the usual chorus of 'ooohs' and 'aaahs'. I love it.

Yes I know it's a bit close to religious for someone who calls herself an anti theist but that isn't why I do it. I don't care if Guy Fawkes was a Catholic who hates the Protestant Government. He was a terrorist who deserved punishment for his attempt to murder so many people. Yes we blow up a Pope as well (in effigy) but again I don't care about the religion part, it's all about freedom of speech for me. This particular Pope ordered the horrific burning of people in a country he didn't even live in because they spoke their minds and didn't agree with him. So we burn his effigy to make a point. Yes I know it's childish but I still love it and wouldn't change our weird little tradition for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments but please keep it clean in case any children read them